Please follow this link for the latest government advice surrounding coronavirus testing.
The government through the above link will be testing priority patients first and are also testing patients;
- all essential workers including NHS and social care workers with symptoms (see the full list of essential workers)
- anyone over 65 with symptoms
- anyone with symptoms whose work cannot be done from home (for example, construction workers, shop workers, emergency plumbers and delivery drivers)
- anyone who has symptoms of coronavirus and lives with any of those identified above
Additionally, we are testing:
- social care workers and residents in care homes (with or without symptoms) both to investigate outbreaks and, following successful pilots, as part of a rolling programme to test all care homes
- NHS workers and patients without symptoms, in line with NHS England guidance This means anyone in one of these groups can find out whether they have the virus. Testing is most effective within 3 days of symptoms developing.
Self-referral You can apply for a test directly if you are in one of the groups above. Go to https://self-referral.test-for-coronavirus.service.gov.uk to apply for a test.
You can select a regional test site drive-through appointment or home test kit. Home test kit availability will initially be limited but more will become available. The user guide explains how to use the online self-referral service.